Message sent from:

Local Offer and SEND Information Report

  • 1. Identification of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

    1.1 How does the school identify children/young people with special educational needs and disabilities?
    As a school we closely follow the guidance set out in the SEND code of practise when identifying SEND. Identification is part of our ongoing assessment process and concern can be raised about a child’s development or progress by themselves, parents, teacher or another. All concerns are investigated and during discussion, concerns are recorded and actions are agreed for desired outcomes. These are reviewed over time and if concern continues then a child may be observed and assessed by our Special Educational Needs co-ordinator (SENCo) and evidence gathered to see if this indicates their needs meet the criteria for SEND. Assessments used will be dependent on the needs of the child and these will be discussed with parents. If it is decided the child has a SEND then they are added to our register and we endeavour to make the provision they require. Parents will be kept informed throughout the process and consulted over any proposed support.

    1.2 What should I do if I think my child has SEND?
    If you have a concern about your child’s progress or development, a discussion with their class teacher is the first step. Special Educational Needs is defined as, ‘A pupil has SEND where their learning difficulty or disability calls for special educational provision, that is provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age.’ (SEND Code of Practise. June 2014). The school has specific steps which they will follow to investigate your concern and assess if your child meets the criteria for SEND.

  • 2. Support for children with Special Educational Needs

    2.1 If my child is identified as having SEND, who will oversee and plan their education programme?
    Your child’s class teacher is responsible for planning your child’s education programme on a day to day basis. The school’s SENCo will oversee this.

    2.2 How will I be informed / consulted about the ways in which my child is being supported?
    You will be consulted about the provision for your child in discussion at an initial meeting and then at subsequent review meetings. If there is a change in provision you will be informed.  All support will be documented in a Support and Achievement Plan (SAP) which will be created for your child termly. If your child is in Foundation Stage then this is called a Support and Achievement Play Plan. (SAPP)

    2.3 How will the school balance my child’s need for support with developing their independence?
    All children need to develop skills of independence and staff at school work hard to ensure this. Our teaching assistants have been trained to ensure that children are supported but do not become reliant on an adult. A teacher or teaching assistant might start a child off on a task and then come back to check on their progress. We use a technique we call tiny tasks to get children to do small things on their own and then have an adult check their understanding and move on to the next task.

    2.4 How will the school match / differentiate the curriculum for my child’s needs?
    Your child’s class teacher, in discussion with the SENCo will get to know the needs of your child to ensure that they can access the curriculum at the level they are working. This will be done through detailed individual assessments, teaching in groups which match their ability and provision of resources to enable full participation in the curriculum.

    2.5 What teaching strategies does the school use for children with learning difficulties, including autistic spectrum disorder, hearing impairment, visual impairment, speech and language difficulties?
    The school uses a wide range of teaching strategies which respond to the needs and learning styles of individual children. Where appropriate these are advised by outside professionals. The strategies are regularly reviewed to ensure they meet the needs of the child. Examples of some strategies which have been used are: visual and auditory prompts being incorporated into lessons, use of specific or differentiated language, pre-teaching language/vocabulary, proprioception (movement) breaks and opportunities for over learning.

    2.6 What additional staffing does the school provide from its own budget for children with SEND?
    Teaching assistants run specific interventions in small groups and 1:1. The interventions your child may participate in will depend on their current need and level of progress. This will be discussed with you by your child’s class teacher. Pastoral Support may be provided in class and at playtimes and lunchtimes where it is necessary for the pupil.

    2.7 What specific intervention programmes does the school offer to children with SEND and are these delivered on a one to one basis or in small groups?
    Each intervention has a specific set of criteria and assessments and these are looked at closely in order to match the needs of the child to the appropriate intervention. 

    Type/Title of Intervention One to one Small group
    Numicon  √  √
    SNAP Maths  
    Structured Approach to Reading (STAR)  
    Structured Approach to Writing (STRAW)  
    Keep-up Phonics  
    Precision Teaching  
    Nessy Fingers

    2.8 What resources and equipment does the school provide for children with SEND?
    This is completely dependent on the needs of the child. We have a bank of resources and equipment which we can use for children with SEND and through discussion with professionals we personalise our learning environment for the children we teach. Examples of things which are used regularly are visual timetables, task bars, visual aids, sensory objects, shaped pencils, sloped desks and footstools. We will use more specialist equipment on advice from relevant professionals.

    2.9 What special arrangements can be made for my child when taking examinations?
    This depends on the level of your child’s needs and is in accordance to government guidance.  Children with SEND can be provided with a quiet area to take examinations or class assessments and can have the support of a reader and a scribe if required. Additional time can be applied for and movement breaks planned in.       

  • 3. My child’s progress

    3.1 How will the school monitor my child’s progress and how will I be involved in this?
    Your child’s progress will be carefully monitored through observation and assessment by the staff working with them. Your child’s progress will be carefully monitored through observation and assessment by the staff working with them. This will take place in whole class work, small groups and 1:1. Your child will have a Support and Achievement Plan (SAP) which will detail their needs and provision in place; this will include ways in which you can support your child at home. This will be reviewed termly at a meeting with yourself and you will be invited to discuss your child’s progress. However, if you have successes or concerns in between you wish to discuss then we’d encourage you to contact your child’s class teacher.

    3.2 When my child’s progress is being reviewed, how will new targets be set and how will I be involved?
    A draft SAP or SAPP will be written based on the assessments made by staff over the term. We include targets/advice given by visiting professionals. Targets will be set based on the amount of progress made and we ensure these are challenging but attainable. They will be discussed with you and amended as we all feel necessary at a review meeting.

    3.3 ln addition to the school’s normal reporting arrangements, what opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s progress with school staff?
    In addition to normal reporting arrangements you will take part in a termly review of your child’s progress. This may be as part of an extended parents evening meeting or an additional meeting. School staff welcome parents’ comments and we encourage close working relationships in order to support your child and their progress.

    3.4 What arrangements does the school have for regular home to school contact?
    We believe that regular home to school contact is vital for the success of our children. The form that this takes varies and we always try to match the strategy to the needs of the child and the family. This will be discussed with you in order to determine the most suitable approach.

    3.5 How can I help support my child’s learning?
    Your child’s SAP / SAPP will contain a section which will have ways in which you can support your child. Our class teachers and SENCo are always happy to discuss your child’s learning and how you can support them.

    3.6 Does the school offer any help for parents / carers to enable them to support their child’s learning, eg. training or learning events?
    West Berkshire SENDIASS is a free and independent service for parents and carers of children and young people with SEND or a disability aged 0-25 years. They provide various courses to help you support your child’s learning. At school we offer termly meetings offering information for parents, for example – support with phonics. These are aimed at all parents wishing to help their child at home.

    3.7 How will my child’s views be sought about the help they are getting and the progress they are making?
    Your child will be involved in reviewing their progress and outcomes on their SAP / SAPP with the support of an adult. This will be mainly through discussion in an informal way using pictures and symbols where appropriate. Their views will be recorded on their plan.

    3.8 What accredited and non-accredited courses do you offer for young people with SEND?
    This is not relevant as it does not apply to the children we have in this school.

    3.9 How does the school assess the overall effectiveness of its SEND provision and how can parents / carers and young people take part in this evaluation?
    The school assesses the overall effectiveness of its SEND provision as part of the monitoring processes in the school. Progress is measured and intervention data scrutinised to ensure we are providing the appropriate support for our children. Parents, carers and young people are asked to take part in surveys about our provision which helps in our evaluation. Parents are also signposted to relevant surveys distributed by the local authority regarding SEND provision.

  • 4. Support for my child’s overall wellbeing

    4.1 What support is available to promote the emotional and social development of children with SEND?
    We constantly monitor the emotional and social needs of our children and endeavour to respond to any arising needs as quickly as possible.  We use a Peer Mediation system where our older children mediate between younger children to resolve issues quickly before they escalate. We may seek further support from The Emotional Health Academy.

    4.2 What support does the school put in place for children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations and how do you support children to avoid exclusion?
    We support children who find it difficult to conform to normal behavioural expectations by setting them realistic targets. We put strategies into place to help them avoid situations which may trigger behaviours, which often include small changes to routine of the class. We work closely with parents when doing this to ensure that targets can be followed up and discussed at home. We put behavioural support plans in place which include any recommendations made by visiting professionals.

    4.3 What medical support is available in the school for children with SEND?
    We take each case individually and make support available as needed. We seek advice from professionals and use trained staff to support children. We would look to take up training if new needs were to arise.

    4.4 How does the school manage the administration of medicines?
    Please refer to our Administration of Medicines policy.

    4.5 How does the school provide help with personal care where this is needed, eg. help with toileting, eating etc?The school tailors help to meet the needs of the child on an individual basis. Discussions are held sensitively with parents, teachers, support staff and where appropriate the child to make suitable arrangements. We will also seek advice from professionals.

  • 5. Specialist services and expertise available at or accessed by the school

    5.1 What SEN support services does the school use, eg. specialist support teachers, educational psychologists, teachers for hearing impairment and visual impairment, ASD advisory teachers, behaviour support teachers etc ?We draw upon the knowledge and advice of a wide range of support services. Children access these services depending on their needs. We have access to the Early Development and Inclusion Team, Special Needs Advisory Teachers, Educational Psychologists, Cognition and Learning Team, the Sensory Consortium (support for visual and hearing impairment), ASD advisory teachers and the Therapeutic Thinking Support Team. We can also access an outreach team (Specialist Inclusion Support Service) from our local Special Needs School.

    5.2 What should I do if I think my child needs support from one of these services?
    If you feel your child needs support from an outside agency then you should discuss this with their class teacher or the SENCo. Each service has a specific set of criteria which are set by them and a child needs to meet those in order to access their support.

    5.3 How are speech and language therapy, occupational therapy and physiotherapy services provided?
    These therapies are provided by the Children and Young Peoples Integrated Therapies service (CYPIT). They have joined together and can be accessed via a single point of entry.  Speech and language therapy children in Pre-school can be referred via their GP and children over five can be referred from school with parental permission.  Occupational therapy can be accessed through school if a child is has an Education, Care and Health Plan. If not, they need to be referred through their GP.  Physiotherapy for children with neurodevelopmental difficulties can be accessed via the single point of access.

    5.4 What should I do if I think my child needs to be seen by a speech and language therapist, occupational therapist or physiotherapist?
    If you think your child needs this type of support then please see their class teacher to discuss further.

    5.5 What arrangements does the school have for liaison with Children’s Social Care services?
    The headteacher is fully trained in child-protection policy and all staff have up-to-date safeguarding training. When necessary, we make direct contact with Children’s Social Care team, in line with local procedures.  We liaise with Children’s Social Care services and other agencies that may be able to assist children and their families. When social workers are involved with children, staff attend core group meetings.

  • 6. Training of school staff in SEND

    6.1 What SEND training is provided for teachers in your school?
    New staff joining the school are inducted in SEND processes by the SENCo. Staff meetings and INSET days are planned when needed in order to meet the training needs of the staff. This is a personalised approach and often depends on the children we are working with. SEND support services are used to deliver specific training where appropriate. Training opportunities provided by the local authority are published termly and these are circulated to teachers. The SENCo signposts staff towards training which would be beneficial.

    6.2 What SEND training is provided for teaching assistants and other staff in your school?
    Teaching assistants and other school staff are provided with a variety of SEND training. This is again a personalised approach and depends on the children they work with. The SENCo, Headteacher or SEND support service may deliver training. Where appropriate teaching assistants and other staff are invited to staff meetings and included in any child specific training. If teaching assistants are delivering interventions then they would attend local authority training and follow up sessions to ensure high quality delivery of the intervention.

    6.3 Do teachers have any specific qualifications in SEND?
    The SENCo holds the National Accredited Award.

    6.4 Do teaching assistants have any specific qualifications in SEND?
    Some teaching assistants are trained in specific interventions, such as Structured Approach to Reading (STAR).  Training is reviewed regularly and is designed to support them to cater for needs within the school.

  • 7. Activities outside the classroom including school trips.

    7.1 How do you ensure children with SEND can be included in out of school activities and trips?
    We work very carefully when planning out of school activities and trips to ensure all children can participate. Risk assessments are carried out and we look at the needs of the children and specific situations. Children are prepared in advance and activities, travel and support arrangements are tailored to the needs of the child participating.

    7.2 How do you involve parents / carers in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips?
    Parents/carers are closely involved in planning the support required for their child to access activities and trips. Parents can give valuable advice on how their child may cope with certain situations. They can contribute to risk assessments and making plans for differentiation of activities, travel arrangements and support during the activity or trip.

  • 8. Accessibility of the school environment.

    8.1 How accessible is the building for children with mobility difficulties / wheelchair users?
    The school is accessible for children with mobility difficulties and wheelchair users. There are double doors into our main building and a ramp where there is a step. We have an accessible toilet (in our KS1 classrrom) and all classrooms are on the ground floor. We use the village hall next door to the school which has a ramp to double doors at the entrance. We have an upstairs room with a curved staircase which houses our before and after school club which would be difficult to access. We aim to make our school as accessible as possible, being a very old building with listed status and limited space, this can present challenges but we endeavour to make changes when required to support the needs of our children.

    8.2 Have adaptations / improvements been made to the auditory and visual environment?
    We adapt our environment to the needs of the children in school in order to fully support them. We seek advice from specialists and make adaptations and improvements as required.

    8.3 Are there accessible changing and toilet facilities?
    We have an accessible toilet. We do not have changing rooms at the school.

    8.4 How do you ensure that all the school’s facilities can be accessed by children with SEND?
    At school we monitor our facilities carefully to ensure all children are accessing them. Provisions are made where necessary to support children, visual prompts, extra adult support and equipment.

    8.5 How does the school communicate with parents / carers who have a disability?
    Provision for effective communication will be made on an individual basis, making meetings accessible, braille copies, written communication, providing a reader or parental supporter.

    8.6 How does the school communicate with parents / carers whose first language is not English?
    We meet the needs of individual parents by providing meetings with an interpreter and translating letters where appropriate

  • 9. Preparing my child to join the school or to transfer to a new school or the next stage of education and life.

    9.1 What preparation will there be for both the school and my child before he or she joins the school?
    Before your child joins our school we would seek to gain as much information about their needs as possible. The preparations made will be personalised to your child and will be a result of additional visits and meetings. Induction to the school will be planned between parents, preschool provider, professionals, class teacher, SENCo and child.

    9.2 How will my child be prepared to move on to the next stage within school, e.g. class or key stage?
    All classes within the school work closely together to ensure a smooth transition for all children including SEND children. A series of visits to the next class are made, sometimes with other children or adults they work with. The whole school participates in a move up day where the children spend a day in their new class and your child would be prepared and supported to take part in this. A meeting will be held between the current and new class teacher to share information about your child’s needs and plan how they will be best met in their new class.

    9.3 How will my child be prepared to move on to his or her next school?
    This is always a highly personalised transition taking into account the needs of the child. Your child will be prepared well in advance of their move and will make visits to their new school and where appropriate will be supported by photographs and key information about new people and routines.

    9.4 How will you support a new school to prepare for my child?
    We will support a new school preparing for your child by providing as much information as possible. During meetings, discussions between school staff will detail the needs of your child and how they are currently being met and how they might be provided for in their new school. They will meet your child and have chance to plan resources and teaching strategies in advance.

    9.5 What information will be provided to my child’s new school?
    Your child’s new school will receive assessment data, past SAPs, reports from visiting professionals and any other relevant targets. Most importantly as mentioned above we will have discussions with the staff at the new school to ensure they know what works for your child and any specific requirements they have.

    9.6 How will the school prepare my child for the transition to further education or employment?

  • 10. Who can I contact to discuss my child?

    10.1 Who would be my first point of contact if I want to discuss something about my child or if I am worried?
    If you are concerned about your child, your first point of contact is their class teacher.  They know your child very well and are always open to discuss your child and anything you are worried about. Any concerns which require further assistance with can be discussed with the SENCo and headteacher if necessary.

    10.2 Does the school offer any specific support for parents / carers and families (such as Family Support Workers)?
    Our school works closely with the local Victoria Park Family Hub whom we may contact for advice.

    10.3 What arrangements does the school have for signposting parents / carers to external agencies which can offer support, such as voluntary agencies?
    Once children are on our special needs register, parents are informed about agencies who can offer them support. For example, Help for Families and Parent Partnership. Other voluntary groups and agencies are signposted where appropriate depending on the needs of the child and their family.

    10.4 What arrangements does the school have for feedback from parents, including compliments and complaints?
    We operate an open door policy and appreciate feedback from parents so that we can react to it appropriately. Questionnaires about the school and its provision provide opportunity for parents to comment and if you have a complaint we would ask you to put it in writing to the headteacher.

Updated October 2023

Hit enter to search